Friday, October 15, 2010

Weekend Fun

Last weekend, I took advantage of the wonderful Thanksgiving weather, and decorated the front of my house for Halloween. I kind of had some help. My three year old grandson was “helping”. First he didn’t want to put up the monster streamers because they were too scary, and he was busy jumping in the leaves. Then I was moving some plants around and he was too little to help with that, and he was busy jumping in the leaves. Next, there were two bags to fill with leaves. One looks like a ghost and the other a jack-o-lantern. He couldn’t help with these because they were also too scary, and he was busy jumping in the leaves. I finally convinced him to forget about the leaves so that we could go for a drive and get pumpkins for the porch.


Now I thought a free range pumpkin patch would excite him to death. Wrong…. no running around trying to pick the perfect pumpkin. He just wanted to stay by my side and help with the wheel barrow. I convinced him that we had to actually check each pumpkin to make sure they were “perfect”. Another mistake on my part. You would have thought that I was “new” with children. Once we found the first pumpkin, he found another perfect one. And another one and another one. Now we had 4 perfect pumpkins and I could hardly push that stupid wheel barrow any more. I talked him into going back to the gate and putting these pumpkins in the car. We paid the lady, put the wheel barrow back and got in the car to go home.

Once we were home, there was the task of getting the pumpkins out of the car. One or two of them didn’t seem that heavy, so I thought he might be able to carry them a wee ways. He had other ideas. Before I could stop him, Caleb had pulled the biggest one out of the back and onto the driveway. It proceeded to roll almost to the road. Luckily, it stayed in tact.. not even a crack. Well that was fun, so he pulled on another one. This time I was quicker and I removed all the pumpkins and he rolled them all to the sidewalk.

What I thought might be an hour’s worth of “fun”, turned into three hours of running, jumping and climbing. All of which, I am sure, was just the most fun for Caleb.
Once again, I am reminded why we have our children when we are in our 20’s or 30’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment