Friday, April 22, 2011

What have I done?????

I am sitting in the upstairs of my house, in the spare room, watching TV. Sitting in a very uncomfortable chair, laptop on a TV table, totally surrounded by boxes and Rubbermaid containers. I feel like I am licking dust off my lips. Our main floor was almost completely demolished due to a renovation that I really believed would only take 3 weeks. The contractor promised full dedication to my job and begged to start a week earlier than I was ready for, so that it would in fact, only take 3 weeks. Tricked again…….. Total dedication lasted one week…. the destruction week. Never have I seen so much dust. It never seemed to settle. Now… six weeks later, I am becoming very concerned… the new kitchen cupboards and appliances are due in 3 more weeks and I can’t have my grandson over due to the holes in the floor, the boards with nails in them and the general mess of construction..

Last night I had a minor meltdown, with Bob being the sounding board. Every time he tried to say even “ok”, I went off again.

I have to say that it wasn’t as bad as the time he put the knives, forks, and spoons into the wrong slots in the drawer, when he emptied the dishwasher, helping out as he often does. I started off trying to be comical about how he has lived in this house for 30 years and they have always gone into the same drawer, you would think he could get it right. Well, somewhere along the line, I totally lost control of myself and went on a five minute rant. I told him it wasn’t helpful if I had to go back and put everything back to where it belongs. Suddenly I saw that “deer in the headlights” glaze, and I stopped and returned to the kitchen. A few minutes later, I sheepishly re-entered the living room to apologize but once the “I’m sorry” left my lips, I added “but for God’s sake, they have gone in that same drawer for 30 years” Bam…. right back at him….

And the reason I love that man….. he never said a word. Not then or ever, about that. I was the one who felt obligated to tell our friends, when we could laugh about it.

Tomorrow ……. the contractor. We will talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment