Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

I hope you all had the wonderful Christmas and holiday season that we did at our house. For the past month, our house has been filled regularly with friends and family. Not to mention the glow of pretty Christmas lights. Our new room out back is not finished yet.... big surprise. I had hoped for Remembrance Day, then I put my hopes in Dec 1, then Christmas. I have resigned myself to the waiting game. Maybe Ground Hog day we can celebrate "the room".


Right now we are sharing our annual tradition of watching the Rose Bowl Parade with our grandson Caleb. Once the parade is finished, the football marathon begins. I had no idea there could be that much football in one day until I met my husband 36 years ago. Now there is so much of it, that it takes more than one day. When we were first married, my immediate family would all gather at my parents home in the early afternoon. We would play cards until supper was ready. Friends would drop in periodically throughout the day, some joining us for supper, which was always ham & scalloped potatoes. Bob would always sit and watch the football, alone in the living room. Then, one year, disaster struck... the current "bowl" game was all tied up when the 2 minute warning was sounded. Bob's "team", whoever that was, had possession of the ball. As the favored football player grabbed the ball and headed for the end zone, my mother snapped off the TV, announcing supper was ready. Everyone in the house gasped and then total silence surrounded us all. Mother then stated," come on, there will be another game on after supper". Bob turned the TV back on quickly, but not fast enough. His team had fumbled the ball, just short of the touchdown, the other team recovered the ball and made the touchdown of the century.

Needless to say, that was our last New Year's Day with my family. Our own tradition began.... home alone..... I started doing jigsaw puzzles.

Well, I must prepare for my family to come over for supper..... they know not to touch the TV or disturb their father and they are all very helpful with the puzzle.

Happy New Year to you all and I wish you all the best of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment