Wednesday, October 6, 2010

No China Trip next Year

You know those stupid "chain letter" emails you get from your so called friends.  Well my sister sent me one last week, and as I always do, I deleted it and sent it to the trash bin. 
A couple of days before that, I was asked by a friend if I would like to go to China with him.  April 11, 2011, for 21 days.  It was the exact itinerary that I had worked out for Bob & I, should we go. And it was only $3200.00.  A real bargain.  I could hardly breathe.  It was a dream come true.   I could get to walk on the Great Wall of China.  I went home and discussed it with Bob, as there were some awkward conditions involved.  For instance, I would be sharing a room with a "straight" man.  Bob was also concerned that I might have trouble being away for 21 days without family.  He is right, it may have been an issue.  After a short discussion, Bob agreed that it would indeed, be a wonderful opportunity for me and he was not quite as excited as I was about going to China on our next big adventure.  A major condition to the offer was,  my friend's sister was first choice and I was only going if she said "no".  He assured me that there was a very good chance that would happen, as her husband has several health issues that might prevent her from going away for 21 days.
And another totally unrelated item....  I have an annual dinner with 25 - 30 of my most intimate work friends and it is usually held in a local restaurant.  Reservations were booked at Delaineys in Guelph, the invitations were sent out and the RSVP's were rolling in.
Now back to the chain letter....  right after I deleted that email, my friend called to let me know his sister had made arrangements and was able to go to China with him.   I have to admit, I shed a tear or two.   The next day, Delainey's called, cancelling my reservation for next week, because they have had a fire.  I thought frantically and found another venue for my dinner, but now I have to send out 75 new invitations with the alternate location.
Bottom line here... this is all my sister's fault.  If she had not sent me that stupid chain letter,  I would be having dinner at Delainey's next Wednesday and going to China in April. 
I am not sure I will ever forgive her.  She is lucky Christmas is coming up and we already have scheduled dinner together.  Otherwise, I may have shunned her for the rest of the year.   Do you have a crappy chain letter that I can send off to her????

1 comment:

  1. Too bad about China, what a great opportunity it would have been. Which sister are you hating?

    ReplyDelete